PoetVentures

exploring emerging artists and their habitats

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Sappho Says: A Prompt


Some say the Muses are nine: how careless!
Look, there's Sappho too, from Lesbos, the tenth.
--Anthologia Palatina, Plato

Sappho in Roman fresco from Regio VI in Pompeii. Museo Archeologico Nazionale (Naples).


            Sappho was a Greek musician and poet born in approximately 620 BCE. While Sappho was said to have composed nine books of poetry, only one complete poem has survived to modernity. All that remains of her other works are fragments: single words from the ends of lines, a brief whisper of an image.  

            This week let Sappho be your muse. Write the poem missing from these enjambments:

[] blame
[]swollen
[]you take your fill. For [] my thinking
[]not thus
[]is arranged
[]nor
all night long [] I am aware
[] of evil doing
[]
[]other
[]minds
[]blessed ones

            Or use one of these fragments as a seed for your work, as the stone plunging into the water—let your art ripple out from it:


you came and I was crazy for you
and you cooled my mind that burnt with longing


I would not think to touch the sky with two arms


neither for me honey nor the honey bee  


Feel free to post or link your work in the comments.

All translations of Sappho’s fragments were taken from one of my favorite books, If Not, Winter: Fragments of Sappho by Anne Carson, 2002.

3 comments:

  1. http://mrlwilliams.tumblr.com/post/90324414108/poem-30-version-1

    You're right, I carry the blame
    Leaving the moment swollen
    I let you take your fill. For replacing all of my thinking
    Originally, it was not thus
    But the game is arranged,
    Not to unite us in the day nor
    all night long together, I am aware
    , But to meander us in the web of evil doing
    Separate in the search for an end to draught
    Turning back to see only other
    And now held aloft by debtor minds
    . But for allowing for this, we could have been blessed ones

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow M, u have such strong expression. Some of my favorite parts "leaving the moment swollen," "For replacing all of my thinking" "to meander us" and the last line too. There were some parts I wanted clarification, maybe worth fleshing out/clarifying the end outside of the form of the prompt. What is a debtor mind? This seems important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete